January 22, 2023
Holy Trinity Church – Tom Mount
Scripture Reading: Luke 6:12-19
Our basic purpose
To live continuously in intimate, face-to-face interaction with the triune God of wonder, beauty, majesty and delight! Then, to live out that relationship with effusive joy, faithful witness and patient suffering in our broken but soon-to-be restored world.
Our way of living it out: three spheres (from Lk 6:12-19)
God. Meet in solitude.
“Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.”
– Luke 5:15-16
Disciples. Live in community.
“Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
– Hebrews 10:23-25
People. Engage in ministry.
“Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.’”
– Matthew 28:18-20
Three conspicuous features
Historical continuity – 1 Corinthians 11:2: liturgy, church calendar, symbols, colors, centrality of holy communion
Biblical fidelity – Isaiah 8:20: our only God-breathed Truth source, orthodox doctrine plus modern scholarship
Robust pneumatology – Acts 1:8: The Holy Spirit is not an optional accessory but standard equipment; we absolutely need him to guide, gift, sanctify and empower us
- Operations: insurance, utilities, salaries, maintenance, kids church, ministry costs
- Benevolence: counseling, rent, clothing, medical bills, housing in Mexico, etc.
- Three local ministries: Care Net (Ashely), YWAM (Craig and Sharon), Jesus Center (Larry)
- Great Commission Fund: 7% (increase to 10%); C&MA District: 5%
- Other: clothing drive (Anders); use of building (Korean church, Asian Bible Church, home school group)
Our stewardship of this holy place
- Gift from God! Grateful and generous. Make it a place of beauty, honor and blessing.
- God’s timing
- Past projects: Windows, sound/video equipment and desk, downstairs ceiling, lighting, flooring, painting (Fawn Ruby!), fence (Larry Ruby!), patio
- Future projects: painting, landscaping; later bathrooms, upper room, offices. Next: sanctuary (ceiling, lighting, stain glass film on ten windows).
Our servant leaders
- Leadership team, Children’s ministry teams, Finance team, Tech team, Worship service leaders, Cleaning and communion, Church linens, Hospitality teams, Website/newsletters, many others
- There is a place for you to serve!